St. Peter Cemetery in Kirkwood is the oldest Catholic cemetery in St. Louis county. In 1832 Father Charles Van Quickenborne, the head of the Jesuit St. Stanislaus Novitiate in Florissant, began missionary work in this area. In 1833 the Catholic families here purchased eighty acres on Geyer Road for a church and cemetery. The first-recorded burial was that of Unity Breen, wife of Peter Breen, who died January 28, 1835, at the age of 28. In 1867 a new, brick St. Peter's church was built closer to Kirkwood Road. The older church on Geyer Road burned to the ground in 1875. The parish property at that site remains the present day St. Peter cemetery.
In spite of the relocation of the church, the cemetery remains an important asset to the community and is still active today.
Contact the Resurrection Cemetery office or email for more information.