600 Graham Road
Hazelwood, MO 63042
Office at Calvary Cemetery: 314.792.7738
St. Ferdinand Cemetery, the French Catholic cemetery, is just north and across the street from Sacred Heart Cemetery, the German Catholic cemetery. St. Ferdinand's Cemetery is situated on Manion Road in a secluded area not visible from Graham Road.
The cemetery is rectangular in design, open across the front, bounded by Manion Park and undeveloped grounds. A lush wooded area borders the rear.
One enters the cemetery between pairs of brick gate posts and continues up the center road to the large crucifix shrine at the top of the hill. Red, gray and black modern monuments and slant markers of the twentieth century are interspersed with the white marble tablets and crosses of the Victorian era.
Traditional monument lots and lawn level marker lots are available. The newest sections, Section 20 and 21, are on the left as you exit the cemetery, in a beautiful setting. Ornamental trees line the drive and are interpersed throughout the area. There are lots for private family mausoleums and sarcophagi as well.
Contact the cemetery office for more detailed information and pricing, or email your request.
600 Graham Road SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW CEMETERY MAP
(Manion Park Road off of Graham Road)
Hazelwood, MO 63042
Located in Hazelwood in North County, North of Interstate 270
From the East/West:
- Take exit 26B from I-270
- Head north .6 miles
- Look for the cemetery sign at Manion Park Road (on the left).
- Follow that road back to the cemetery.
TO PRINT CEMETERY MAP: LEFT CLICK ANYWHERE ON CEMETERY IMAGE
Jesuits established a mission in Florissant around 1763. Sometime before 1792 missionary priests built the original log Catholic Church in the old burial ground, not far from the present St. Ferdinand's Catholic Church. The original site is now known as the Spanish Land Grant Park and has recently been the site of excavations by professional archaeologists. Missionary priests, including Benedictines and Trappists, served the parish, and they named the church St. Ferdinand's in honor of the King of Spain, who had expelled the Moors from that country.
In 1820, because of a dispute with the parish trustees, Father Joseph Dunard, the Trappist priest, returned to France, and Bishop DuBourg sent Father Charles Delacroix to Florissant. Instead of contending with the rebellious trustees, Father Delacroix built a new church, the present, brick St. Ferdinand's church, completed in 1821, and he added more property to the cemetery until it encompassed the entire block. Father Delacroix required all those seeking interment rights in the cemetery to build and maintain twenty feet of the split rail fence surrounding the cemetery.
In 1823 Bishop DuBourg invited Jesuit fathers to re-establish the Indian mission at Florissant and take charge of the parish. Father Charles Van Quickenborne, head of the Jesuit missionary, became the parish priest. The majority of the original Jesuit novices were from Belgium, and several, who preached at St. Ferdinand's Church, rose to great distinction. Father Judocus Van Assche, "Le Bon Pere Van Assche," served as pastor of St. Ferdinand parish for fifty years beginning in 1832, and Fathers Pierre DeSmet and F. L. Verreydt, were both great Indian missionaries.
By 1874 St. Ferdinand's Cemetery was full. The Parish Council acquired 35 acres on Coldwater Creek, a mile south of the village, where they laid out New St. Ferdinand's Cemetery. In 1876 the old cemetery was closed to burials and removals to the new cemetery began. For many years there was no public road to the new cemetery. Funerals came down Graham Road where they crossed a farm to enter the cemetery. In 1900 a 33-foot strip was deeded to the Archdiocese, the access road named Christian Brothers Lane, later Father Manion Street, and now known as Manion Park Road.
St. Ferdinand Cemetery is still active today, offering both monument lots and lawn level marker lots Contact the cemetery office, 314.792.7738 or email your request for more detailed information.