Calvary Cemetery

5239 West Florissant Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63115

314.792.7738

Calvary Cemetery, in north St. Louis, is the site of the main office for the north and outlying cemeteries in the area. These cemeteries are: Calvary, Sacred Heart, St. Ferdinand, St. Mary's, St. Monica, St. Charles Borromeo, The Cemetery of Our Lady, Ste. Philippine and Holy Cross.

It is the second oldest cemetery of the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Established in 1854, it contains the graves of many noted persons who were identified with the very beginning of St. Louis. Others were conspicuous in its later development and in national affairs.

Some of the old burials and tombstones were moved to Calvary from much older Catholic Cemeteries originally existing in the present downtown area. Many of the cemetery memorials and lot designs are of architectural interest. In addition to those listed in the Historical tour of the cemetery, other well-known St. Louis family names will be noticed on monuments along the self-guided tour, which begins at the main entrance of the cemetery, West Florissant at Union Avenues.

Calvary includes two mausoleum complexes. The indoor, two story Shrine Mausoleum offers single, tandem and companion crypts, premium niches for the inurnment of cremated remains and two beautiful chapels for committal services. There is none other like it in the area.

The outdoor All Saints Mausoleum and chapel offers single and tandem crypts, and niches for the inurnment of cremated remains.

A stand-alone columbarium unit for the entombment of cremated remains, topped with the Pieta, was installed in Section 34 summer of 2010.

Traditional monument and lawn level marker lots are available in many sections of the cemetery, as are single and two grave shared family monument lots. Lawn crypts are offered, with many options for memorialization. There are lots designated for private family mausoleums and single sarcophagi units. Contact the office for specific details and pricing information, or email your request.

 

5239 West Florissant Avenue                                                                                  SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW CEMETERY MAP 
St. Louis, MO 63115
Located to the north of downtown St. Louis, MO just off Interstate 70


  • From I-70 East take the West Florissant Avenue exit.
  • Turn Left onto West Florissant Avenue
  • The entrance to Calvary Cemetery is just past Calvary Drive.
  • From I-70 West take the West Florissant Avenue exit.
  • Follow the exit to the Right.
  • The entrance to Calvary Cemetery is just past Calvary Drive.

map

TO PRINT CEMETERY MAP:   LEFT CLICK ANYWHERE ON IMAGE

 

Calvary Cemetery

After the cholera outbreak in 1849, an official city ordinance required that all new cemeteries be located beyond the city limits. At the time, there was thought that such a measure might stay the rising number of cholera victims. Most of the city's cemeteries, including all of its Catholic cemeteries had been filled to capacity due to the epidemic. Archdiocese records showed that on one day alone, June 25, 1849, 99 of 126 total burials were attributed to cholera. St. Louis Catholics were in need of another, larger burial ground.

In 1853, Archbishop Peter Richard Kenrick purchased 323-acre "Old Orchard Farm" northwest of the city from Kentucky politician Henry Clay. Kenrick established his own farm on half of this acreage and dedicated the other half to the development of a new cemetery. As the cemetery grew, more acreage was added to its site. Part of this property had once been used as an ancient burial ground by Native Americans and soldiers from nearby Fort Bellefontaine were also interred there. After its purchase, these remains were collected and buried in a mass grave under a large crucifix. It is located at one of the highest points of the cemetery.

Kenrick lived in the mansion on the western grounds for many years. Calvary was established on the eastern portion of the property and its association, the Calvary Cemetery Association, was incorporated in March 1867. Archbishop Kenrick was the association's first president. Graves from many of the Catholic cemeteries in the city such as Rock Springs and Holy Trinity cemeteries were reinterred in Calvary. The cemetery originally consisted of 477 acres, and due to 21st century developments, now has 470 acres.

The two story indoor premier Shrine and Chapel Mausoleum complex was dedicated in June 1961. The outdoor All Saints Garden and Chapel Mausoleum was dedicated in 1982. Shared family monument selections and lawn crypts have been added in various sections of the cemetery, expanding the types 0f burial facilities offered. Traditional graves, with either lawn level marker or upright monument memorial privileges, continue to be offered. The type of memorial permitted is determined at the time of purchase.